Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Connecting to SQL Server

Hi:

I installed SQL Express in one of my Notebook A (XP Pro SP2), I could start writing code with VB6 as it is in local machine (.\Sqlexpress)

At later stage, I used another Notebook B (XP pro SP1). I changed the notebook workgroup with the same name and try to connect to Notebook A with Ethernet Cable using SQLOLEDB to make connection, I had this Error Message

"Test Connection Failed because of an error initialising the provider.[DBNETLIB][Connection Open(Connect()).]SQL Server Does not Exist or Access Denied"

I look thru this forum, I quoted Jens K. Suessmeyer comment

This simply mean that in a network you either will need all users to have their own database OR dedicate a "server" (which can also be a workstation) to host the database as a server attached instance.

So I Presume I could used a PC/Notebook (not a Server) as Database Server?

If I used Windows NT Integrated Security, then I should create user accounts at Notebook A? Or Create User Accounts at SQL Server If i used "Used Specific User Name and Password" to Log in ?

My Intention is If I have 5 PC to log in to Server Automatically whenever they switch on the PC with the VB6 Program executing during start up. It make login to User as transparent as possible.

Thanks

"So I Presume I could used a PC/Notebook (not a Server) as Database Server?"

Yes, indeed you can.

If I used Windows NT Integrated Security, then I should create user accounts at Notebook A? Or Create User Accounts at SQL Server If i used "Used Specific User Name and Password" to Log in ?

If you are in a workgroup the (SQL Server) computers cannot verify the user of another computer as no trust exists between the computers (having the same workgroup name is not a trust). There is a workaround (I would name it hack), to use the same useraccount names and passwords on all computers to logon with Windows Authentication. I would suggest in that case to use SQL Server authentication instead.

"My Intention is If I have 5 PC to log in to Server Automatically whenever they switch on the PC with the VB6 Program executing during start up. It make login to User as transparent as possible."

Use SQL Server logins instead, if you don′t want any user interaction you should use a fixed user name to logon.

HTH, Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.d

No comments:

Post a Comment