Sunday, March 25, 2012

connecting to SQL DB through a firewall

Hi there!

I'm a bit new to all this, so please bear with me! :)

I've got a webserver in our DMZ and I'm trying to create an ODBC connection from that server to a db server within our firewall. When I try and connect, the following message appears:

Connection failed:
SQLState: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 10060
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionOpen (Connect()),
Connection failed:
SQL State: '08001'
SQL Server Error: 17
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's going on, as we have an application on the webserver that connects to another SQL DB server within our firewall with no problem!

webserver:
OS - win2000 standard server sp4

db server:
OS - WinNT 4.0
SQL - 7.0

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated!!

Cheers,

Ewan :)I'd recommend (so does MS) to have a VPN tunnel for intrasver communications, especially if they are on opposite sides of the firewall.

No comments:

Post a Comment