Sunday, March 25, 2012

Connecting to SQL Issue

I have a mdf file and log file from msde. I have successfully connected to it in my Visual Studios ASP.net 2.0 Desktop. I am having a problem where it connects. fine but it does not list the tables , diagrams etc. I am trying to build the intake screen with this data but have no tables. Can some one give me a couple of suggestions of why? I am very new to ASP.net and would appreciate any help .How did you connect to the MSDE mdf file? Can you create a Data Connection to it in Server Explorer? Which SQL instance are you using (MSED,SQL Express, etc.)?|||

Hello,

I am using SQL Server Management Studio that came with my visual studios .net 2005.

I open my web application to the design desktop select the tab labeled Server Express the click on the data base to connect it tell me it is connected but no tables show. I was told today by some one I need to be running SQL Server Studio Express I dont understand is the one I have better? The also told me the mdf file was a backup file which they said I need to create a database and then import the mdf backup file into it . I can figure out how to do this I am very new to SQL Server. Help please

Thanks

|||Where does the mdf file come from? Anyways you should attach it to your current SQL instance before you can use it. To do this in Managment Studio, right click Databases in Object Explorer->choose Attach->locate the mdf file. If attach succeeds, you'll see the new attached database under the Databases tree.|||

Thank you,

I found the mdf file to be a bak file I created anew database and restored over the database I created. All tables showed up ok. I only have on question everything seem to work fine except I have no diagrams under the database is this normal not to have this information?

sqlsql

No comments:

Post a Comment