Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Connecting to SQL Server 2000 on another subnet

Hi Folks,

I'm very new to SQL Server. I have a home network. My primary connection
to the internet is using "Gateway 1" a linksys router, of which, my server
is a LAN node on that router. I have another LAN node connecting to the WAN
node of the "Gateway 2" a wireless USR router to use with my laptop. Using
the wireless laptop, I am on a different subnet than the Server. I'd like
to make a connection to the server through Visual Studio.net but I can't
seem to do it. I'm using TCP/IP with a port different than the default port
(let's call it port 2110, even though it's not). I do have port forwarding
on Gateway1 and I've tried everything from just the server internal IP
address, the external IP address, IP address with port designation, URL with
port designation, nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Thanks!
RickIt sounds more like you need to configure Gateway2 (not Gateway1)
correctly, if you want to connect to the server from your laptop? The
KB article below might help, but if not, you may get better help in a
networking group of some sort. If you haven't already, you probably
need to use ping, tracert, nslookup etc to make sure you can at least
resolve the server's name and 'see' it on the LAN.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287932

Simonsqlsql

No comments:

Post a Comment