Sunday, March 25, 2012

Connecting to SQL error 40

I'm trying to connect to an SQL server, but I'm unable. It suggests this is because SQL server does not allow remote connections, and points me to the named pipes provider, error 40 Could not open a connection to SQL server.

I am running SQL express service pack 2 under Vista. I am a member of SQL administrators (set during installation).

Under the SQL Server Configuration manager, SQL server and Browser are running, the protocols for sqlexpress and the native client have enabled shared memory, named pipes, and tcp/ip.

I tried removing and creating a new database. Now it sits under the database Engine section of Management Studio Express, with a white circle on the database icon. When I try to connect to this database, using either windows authentication or sql server authentication, it fails.

What else is there to try? If there was a troubleshooting guide, that would be helpful.

We can ignore this question. After 'fiddling around' it is now working. Couldn't describe what I did though. I think the error message is misleading though.

No comments:

Post a Comment