Sunday, March 25, 2012

Connecting to sql from Delphi 5

I try to connect (locally) to SQLServer Express from Delphi5. On my developer computer, which has Windows XP, SQLServer 2000, VisualStudio2005 (and with that, SQLExpress 2005), it is no problem. However, when I transfer my program and the database to other computers with Windows 2000/WindowsServer2003 and a more recent standalone-version of SQLExpress, I get error messages like:

'Db-Library error 10004: No connection possible: SQL Server not available or not existing'

It does not matter which protocols I activate at the Server or whether the Server Browser service is running or not.

Does anybody have an idea how this might be fixed? Or whether it is a problem of the operating system?

Didi you try making a connecting without any Delphi tools like sqlcmd.exe at the command prompt ?

HTH, Jens K. Suessemeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de
|||

Yes, all MS SQL 2005 tools work.

Meanwhile I found a solution myself: Everything works fine, if I install SQL Server 2000 additionally -- the client suffices. I don't like talking to a new 2005 database via an old 2000 client library, but at least it works.

Thanks very much for helping.

Lucia Lehr

No comments:

Post a Comment