Sunday, March 25, 2012

connecting to SQL on network machine

Hi,
I'm trying to use one of my machines as a database server, just for local network testing/development etc. This machine/server is on my local network via a router.
Can anyone advise me of how, when using VS 2005 Beta 2, to connect to my SQL Server 2005 installation on the server running on my network. ? In the 'add connection' dialogue, what do I put in the 'Server name:' field, (apart from server name...) is it the name of the machine or the IP address of the machine on the network ?
Any and all advise appreicated.
Thanks in advance.

Maybe u need to have the Client SQL and to open the enterprise manager to register a new server group
After that u can use it in ur program
HTH

|||

Hi Smiling,

Thanks for the response. I now have everything running/installed on sql 2005 (named pipes, tcp/ip etc) but still no luck, although I now have an error message:
'A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occured during the pre-login handshake.(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 0 -No process is on the other end of the pipe.)'
On my sql 2005 machine Named Pipes is Enabled and 'Local Access Only' is set to 'No'. If I disable Named Pipes I get the same error message !
I have tried your suggestion and registered new server group and specified Named Pipes as the Network Protocol etc. no luck.
any further advice appreciated.

|||i have the same problem.. i receive the same error message if i want toconnect to the database (sql 2005 beta 3) through vs2005.
any ideas ?

No comments:

Post a Comment