Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Connecting to SQL Server 2000 thru a VPN?

Is this even possible?
I'm coding a VB.NET WinForms app and an ASP.NET app that will access a MS
SQL 2000 Server. I've been told that when I move into a "production"
environment that I must go thru a VPN. I'm no VPN expert, but this doesn't
make much sense to me especially since the remote clients running my VB.NET
WinForms app may not have teh VPN setup.
If VPN can be used as a tunnel to access a SQL 2000 Server, can someone tell
me what needs to be in place on the client side and what would I use for a
connection string to get to the SQL 2000 Server thru the VPN.
I can't find any info on MSDN that even mentions how to connect to a SQL
2000 Server thru VPN.
Thanks, Rob.
Hi Rob,
The VPN session needs to be established prior to executing your VB.NET
app. There's not a specific connection string to do this.
Here's a sample kb article on how to setup a VPN with our firewall server ,
ISA Server.
837355 How to configure a VPN server by using Internet Security and
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837355
Thanks,
Kevin McDonnell
Microsoft Corporation
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment