Wednesday, March 7, 2012

connecting to a server

Hi Folk
Can you tell me how I can connect to an SQL server using a vbscript?
Basically, I want to do the following:
..define array of sql statements (e.g. select * from customers,
selec...)
..connect to databsae
..run sql statements to extract files
..ftp extracted files (csv) to webserver
Can someone tell me if VB script is a good option for this or if I
should be using something else. I just want to keep it simple and I
have limited experience in programming for VBscript.
What do you think about using an access database?
Thanks
NicolaasOne option is to just use ADO in the VBScript.
You might also be able to do what you are trying to do using
jobs or DTS/SSIS. Whether you just used a job and SQL
statements or not depends on the "extract files" and what is
needed in those.
I guess you could use Access but if you don't actually need
to use any data in Access and it isn't a part of an Access
application, I don't see much benefit in that approach.
-Sue
On 17 Jul 2006 05:20:46 -0700, "windandwaves"
<nfrancken@.gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Folk
>Can you tell me how I can connect to an SQL server using a vbscript?
>Basically, I want to do the following:
>..define array of sql statements (e.g. select * from customers,
>selec...)
>..connect to databsae
>..run sql statements to extract files
>..ftp extracted files (csv) to webserver
>Can someone tell me if VB script is a good option for this or if I
>should be using something else. I just want to keep it simple and I
>have limited experience in programming for VBscript.
>What do you think about using an access database?
>Thanks
>Nicolaas

No comments:

Post a Comment