Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Connecting to Northwind

On the 3rd page of the Tutorial 1, there is a section Connecting to the Database in a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 or 2005 Database Server. It instructs you to connect to the Northwind database in the C:\DataTutorial\App_Data directory. I have Northwind.mdf showing up in my Server Explorer and it is 3.7 mb in size in the directory, but the Server Explorer shows it with a - sign beside it and I cannot figure any way to get access to the tables, views, etc. I have read and re-read everything I can find on this and I know I am missing something simple, but I am stumped. Can anyone offer some help? Thanks, Ron

Do you have the Northwind database server-attached to your running srver, or did you setup the database as a user instance in your server explorer ?

Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de
|||

Jens,

It appears that Visual Studio solved the problem. When I opened my project today, the Northwnd.mdf database showed up fully populated in the Server Explorer window.

If you have any clue as to what I could have done yesterday to not properly permit the database to show, I would love to know so I don't do it again. I don't know if I had my "database server-attached to your running srver, or did you setup the database as a user instance in your server explorer ?" All I did was put the file in northwnd.mdf file into the c:\DataTutorial\App_Data\ directory. When it didn't show up, I also executed the instwnd.sql file with debug turned off, but, at least yesterday, that didn't seem to help.

Thanks again,

Ron Hall

sqlsql

No comments:

Post a Comment