Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Connecting to Northwind on SQL Server 2000

I've just installed SQL Server 2000 on my local machine. I'm using the following element in my web.config file for my connection string.

<add key="SqlNWind512" value="server=(local)\141.705.84.745;database=Northwind;
user id=sa;pwd=h3fe8eq7;packet size=512;" /
Unfortunately, I'm getting the following error on my aspx page:

SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I had no problem writing a connection string to connect to the MSDE installed on my computer, but making a connection to the Northwind database on my newly installed SQL Server 2000 Developer edition has been elusive to me.

I'm sure my IP address is correct. The authentication mode for logging into the database via Enterprise Manager is setup to require a password for sa. Therefore, I assume it's required in the connection string?

Maybe not so coincidentally, while I have been able to open this database through the Server Explorer in VS.NET, I'm not able to access it via Enterprise Mananger (no response, it just hangs) or my aspx pages.

I'm dying here!!! Is my connection string wrong? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!just server=<ip address
forget the (local) bit if it's not local.|||Thank you!|||word to the wise..
Don't put your password to your database online on forums.

h3fe8eq7 can be a very bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment