Monday, March 19, 2012

Connecting to named instance in Management Studio fails

I have a remote server with a default instance of Sql 2000 and a named
instance of Sql 2005. Whenever I try to connect to the named instance
in Management Studio, it ALWAYS connects to the default instance. I am
specifying the connection as ServerName\InstanceName. It seems like it
is ignoring the instance name in the connection request. I have tried
creating an alias, but it does not change the behavior. One special
note - due to our network structure we must use fully qualified domain
names when connecting to remote servers. The my local server and my
remote server are in different sub-domains:
local server = ServerA.HQ.domain.com
remote server = ServerX.Remote.domain.com
One interesting observation is that I am able to connect to the remote
server from a different db server in the same sub-domain without any
problems. i.e. ServerY.remote.domain.com can connect to
ServerX.remote.domain.com.
I know there was a bug in MDAC that was similar to this, but it was
supposedly fixed in MDAC 2.8 SP1. I wonder if the same bug crept into
the SQLNI code?check with your network admin. it seems there is firewall rule on udp 1434.
also, try to specify the tcp as part of your connection string.
e.g.
sqlcmd -S"ServerX.Remote.domain.com,tcp#"
-oj
"kmart" <kevmart@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1146849746.958318.194980@.v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...
>I have a remote server with a default instance of Sql 2000 and a named
> instance of Sql 2005. Whenever I try to connect to the named instance
> in Management Studio, it ALWAYS connects to the default instance. I am
> specifying the connection as ServerName\InstanceName. It seems like it
> is ignoring the instance name in the connection request. I have tried
> creating an alias, but it does not change the behavior. One special
> note - due to our network structure we must use fully qualified domain
> names when connecting to remote servers. The my local server and my
> remote server are in different sub-domains:
> local server = ServerA.HQ.domain.com
> remote server = ServerX.Remote.domain.com
> One interesting observation is that I am able to connect to the remote
> server from a different db server in the same sub-domain without any
> problems. i.e. ServerY.remote.domain.com can connect to
> ServerX.remote.domain.com.
> I know there was a bug in MDAC that was similar to this, but it was
> supposedly fixed in MDAC 2.8 SP1. I wonder if the same bug crept into
> the SQLNI code?
>

No comments:

Post a Comment