Monday, March 19, 2012

Connecting to named instance fails for Enterprise Manager but works with Query Analyzer

Hi,
We have just had a 64-bit SQL Server 2000 cluster installed in our
network and I am having difficulties connecting to it.
The named instance I am trying to access is 192.168.0.108\DX
I can connect to it from a machine on the same subnet using Enterprise
Manager, but not from a machine on another subnet (192.168.14.0), when
attempiting EM just stops responding. The weird thing is that I can
connect using Query Analyzer, but not EM (obviously using the same
connection details).
Does anybody have any suggestions to what might be causing this
behaviour?
The client computer I use is a Windows XP Professional with SP2 and
client connectivity tools for SQL Server 2000. I have tried disabling
the firewall, which didn't help. I can connect to another SQL Server
(default instance, 32-bit, non-clustered) on the other network with
EM.
Regards,
Ville Tuomola
Have you tried pinging the server when you can't connect?
Have you checked the registration/connection properties for
the server in Enterprise Manager? Are you sure you aren't
just getting a login timeout? You can increase the login
timeout from the menu go to Tools then Options. On the
Advanced tab, increase the login timeout to a value higher
than the default 4 seconds.
-Sue
On 7 Oct 2004 01:11:35 -0700, vtuomola@.gmail.com (Ville
Tuomola) wrote:

>Hi,
>We have just had a 64-bit SQL Server 2000 cluster installed in our
>network and I am having difficulties connecting to it.
>The named instance I am trying to access is 192.168.0.108\DX
>I can connect to it from a machine on the same subnet using Enterprise
>Manager, but not from a machine on another subnet (192.168.14.0), when
>attempiting EM just stops responding. The weird thing is that I can
>connect using Query Analyzer, but not EM (obviously using the same
>connection details).
>Does anybody have any suggestions to what might be causing this
>behaviour?
>The client computer I use is a Windows XP Professional with SP2 and
>client connectivity tools for SQL Server 2000. I have tried disabling
>the firewall, which didn't help. I can connect to another SQL Server
>(default instance, 32-bit, non-clustered) on the other network with
>EM.
>Regards,
>Ville Tuomola

No comments:

Post a Comment