Monday, March 19, 2012

Connecting to MSDE

Being new to the SQL server world I have a beginner question.

How do I grant access to database from a networked computer?
I have tried:
sp_grantlogin '\\computername\username'
and I get the error:
Windows NT or user <above> not found. Please check name.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
EricEric Borden (borden_eric@.invalid.com) writes:
> Being new to the SQL server world I have a beginner question.
> How do I grant access to database from a networked computer?
> I have tried:
> sp_grantlogin '\\computername\username'
> and I get the error:
> Windows NT or user <above> not found. Please check name.

This not really my area, but I believe that SQL Server needs to be
able to verify that the user exists. If the user is in the same domain
as SQL Server this is trivial. But if all you have a workgroup, and
not a domain, things are getting difficult. In this case, SQL authentication
may be required.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment