Monday, March 19, 2012

Connecting to MS SQL DB in other server ?

Hello, All

I have been checking out VB Express for over a week now and I have to say, Im very happy with this Software. Thanks MS

Ok, so far so good I have created a basic APP for use in my office that contains information about clients. Now what I just cant get is, How do I connect to a SQL DB that is in a server at a hosting company ? I have created the DB in the server and all tables now how do I get the connection going ? If any anyone can show me how to do it I would appreciate it or if you can show me a link to a site that has steps by step that would be cool also.

Thank you for your help,

You have to define the conenction string to point to the external server / database: For connectionstrings you can look up the information an www.connectionstrings.com.

You have to know the public adress of the server like the ip adress or the dns name and if you use a default instance or not.

Data Source=81.100.29.81;Initial Catalog=pubs;User Id=sa;Password=asdasd;" --OR

Data Source=81.100.29.81\InstanceName;Initial Catalog=pubs;User Id=sa;Password=asdasd;" --For a named instance.

HTH, jens Suessmeyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment