Monday, March 19, 2012

Connecting to local instance with firewall client enabled

I'm running SQL Server 2000 SP3 on my XP Pro laptop and everything
works fine without firewall client enabled. When I VPN in to the
network and enable the ISA server firewall client, I can't connect to
my local instance using Enterprise Manager or Query Analyzer, although
I can connect to another instance running on a server on the network.
If I'm VPNed in and I don't enable firewall client, I can still
connect to the local instance. And interestingly my ASP.NET
application (running locally) can still connect to the local SQL
Server instance once I changed the server name in web.config from
localhost to chris-laptop.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I really need to have
firewall client enabled and access to my databases through query
analyser at the same time.
Thanks
Chris BettertonIf you specifiy the ip address that SQL Server is listening on when
attempting to connect via Query Analyzer, does it allow you to connect?
If it does then you can use the SQL CLient Network Utility to create an
alias that points the server name to the ip address. This would let you
connect using the server name.
Rand
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.|||Hadn't thought of that, 127.0.0.1 works fine so I can use the alias
approach. Thanks for your help.
*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.codecomments.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment