Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Connecting to a local instance from a remote computer

Greetings friends,

Not sure if this is the right place for my question but here goes anyway.

I have an instance of SQL Server 2005 installed on my DEV PC. A colleague of mine wants to access my server from his machine which connected to the same network.

I logged on to SSMS and added him as a new login.

Will he be able to connect to it now or do I have to do more than just that?

Your help would be appreciated.

You may have to enable remote connections in the Surface Area Configuration tool - Services and Connections.


HTH!

|||

Hi there,

Yes, I have already done that. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

|||

From a SQL perspective, as long as SQL will accept the remote connections and the user has valid login and has access to the relevant database, then the user should be able to connect.

The only other thing to bear in mind would be any firewalls you have configured.


HTH!

|||I wish to add one more point friends,
if the port number is default 1433 the user can connect fine else specify the "server name, port number" in the SSMS while connecting !

Thanxx
Deepak
|||

Excellent point Deepak.

Confirm which port SQL is listening on in SQL Server Configuration Manager\Network Configuration.

HTH!

|||

Hi there,

Thanks guys. I will look out for these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment