Thursday, March 8, 2012

Connecting to an instance of MSDE (SQL Server) on a remote machine

I have recently installed MS Office 2003 on a new machine running as a
storage machine on a peer to peer XP Professional network. I followed all
the instructioons and allowed only the login password to be changed.
I am now hoping to connect to the SQL Server instance from a desktop PC
(i.e. remotely). I have installed SQL Server2000 developer edition on my
local machine and have tried to conncet through the login presented as part
of the query analyser.
I can see the remote SQL Server instance in the drop down box and am
entering my loginID and password. I am assuming that my login ID should be
"sa" (default) and my password should match that which I set when I installed
the MSDE SQL Server on the remote machine.
When I go to connect a dialogue box pops up for about 30 secs informing that
the computer is attenmpting connection before I get an error message (Msg No.
17, Level 16, State 1: SQL Server does not exist or access denied).
I am logged on as adminsiatrator on both machines, and as far as I can tell
I should be able to connect. Is there anything I am missing?
hi Andrew,
andrew wrote:
> I have recently installed MS Office 2003 on a new machine running as a
> storage machine on a peer to peer XP Professional network. I
> followed all the instructioons and allowed only the login password to
> be changed.
> I am now hoping to connect to the SQL Server instance from a desktop
> PC (i.e. remotely). I have installed SQL Server2000 developer
> edition on my local machine and have tried to conncet through the
> login presented as part of the query analyser.
> I can see the remote SQL Server instance in the drop down box and am
> entering my loginID and password. I am assuming that my login ID
> should be "sa" (default) and my password should match that which I
> set when I installed the MSDE SQL Server on the remote machine.
> When I go to connect a dialogue box pops up for about 30 secs
> informing that the computer is attenmpting connection before I get an
> error message (Msg No. 17, Level 16, State 1: SQL Server does not
> exist or access denied).
> I am logged on as adminsiatrator on both machines, and as far as I
> can tell I should be able to connect. Is there anything I am missing?
this kind of excpetion is a generic MDAC exception, as reported in
http://support.microsoft.com/default...06&Product=sql
chances are you installed MSDE on the remote pc without enabling it's
network protocols (default behavior for MSDE installations) or the remote
WinXP is protected by WinXP sp2 Windows Firewall...
for the protoccols case, please verify via the Server Network Utility
(svrnetcn.exe) the desired protocol is enable...
for Windows Firewall,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=841249
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.14.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.59.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply

No comments:

Post a Comment