Thursday, March 8, 2012

Connecting to an instance in a cluster

Hello, I just setup a few instances on a cluster. But somehow I cannot
conntect to the instances remotely using SQL Server Management Studio. I can
connect to them locally. I can also connect to the default instance fine. Any
idea?
Thanks!
is the virtual server enabled for remote connections?
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"Yuhong" <Yuhong@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:065C8B43-891D-41CC-8602-04FB551CFE34@.microsoft.com...
> Hello, I just setup a few instances on a cluster. But somehow I cannot
> conntect to the instances remotely using SQL Server Management Studio. I
> can
> connect to them locally. I can also connect to the default instance fine.
> Any
> idea?
> Thanks!
|||Yes.
"Hilary Cotter" wrote:

> is the virtual server enabled for remote connections?
> --
> Hilary Cotter
> Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
> http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
> Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
> http://www.indexserverfaq.com
>
> "Yuhong" <Yuhong@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:065C8B43-891D-41CC-8602-04FB551CFE34@.microsoft.com...
>
>
|||Did you try to connect to the instance using its IP and port directly?
Linchi
"Yuhong" wrote:

> Hello, I just setup a few instances on a cluster. But somehow I cannot
> conntect to the instances remotely using SQL Server Management Studio. I can
> connect to them locally. I can also connect to the default instance fine. Any
> idea?
> Thanks!
|||Did you configure static or dynamic ports? Is the Browser service running
on all cluster nodes?
Anthony Thomas

"Yuhong" <Yuhong@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:05184BB4-026E-4FBF-AD14-8684B121A86F@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Yes.
> "Hilary Cotter" wrote:
I[vbcol=seagreen]
fine.[vbcol=seagreen]
|||Browser Service is running on all nodes. Dynamic ports are used by default
and I did not change it. The servers are behind a firewall. I opened port
1434. And port 1433 is open too. I can connect to the default instance fine
remotely and can connect any instances locally.
"Anthony Thomas" wrote:

> Did you configure static or dynamic ports? Is the Browser service running
> on all cluster nodes?
>
> Anthony Thomas
>
> --
> "Yuhong" <Yuhong@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:05184BB4-026E-4FBF-AD14-8684B121A86F@.microsoft.com...
> I
> fine.
>
>
|||No, I did not try to connect using its IP and port. I did not open the
specific port for the named instances. The cluster is behind the firewall and
only Port 1433 and 1434 are open.
Thanks!
"Linchi Shea" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> Did you try to connect to the instance using its IP and port directly?
> Linchi
> "Yuhong" wrote:
|||You will need to use the SQL Server Configuration Manager to set a static
port for each named instance. You only need to set it once or each
instance on the cluster. You cannot use port 1434 or 1433. Then you open
the firewall for those ports. Note that you will have to restart each SQL
instance after setting the ports so SQL can bind correctly.
Geoff N. Hiten
Senior Database Administrator
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
"Yuhong" <Yuhong@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:54E0E94E-FAD2-4EDE-86A3-5D63C4E6E5E4@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Browser Service is running on all nodes. Dynamic ports are used by default
> and I did not change it. The servers are behind a firewall. I opened port
> 1434. And port 1433 is open too. I can connect to the default instance
> fine
> remotely and can connect any instances locally.
> "Anthony Thomas" wrote:
|||Hi Geoff,
Thanks for your information. There are many IPs in the TCP/IP properties
window in SQL Server Configuration Manager. Which one should I use? Should I
do the lookback adapter IP or do them all? Sorry I am really confused about
this part. The online help is not very clear about this. Thanks again!
"Geoff N. Hiten" wrote:

> You will need to use the SQL Server Configuration Manager to set a static
> port for each named instance. You only need to set it once or each
> instance on the cluster. You cannot use port 1434 or 1433. Then you open
> the firewall for those ports. Note that you will have to restart each SQL
> instance after setting the ports so SQL can bind correctly.
> --
> Geoff N. Hiten
> Senior Database Administrator
> Microsoft SQL Server MVP
>
>
> "Yuhong" <Yuhong@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:54E0E94E-FAD2-4EDE-86A3-5D63C4E6E5E4@.microsoft.com...
>

No comments:

Post a Comment