Sunday, March 11, 2012

Connecting to hosted / remote database

Hello,

I would like to know whether is it possible to administer a database on a hosted site - i.e inserting some lines, executing a query. I normally access the files via ftp connection. And so far the only way I figured I can mess around with the database is to download it and change it on my desktop PC.

Thank You.

Tomá? Pajonk

they would need to open a port (which is not advisable)

port 1433 by default.

the best solution is to create a vpn.

|||

Thank You very much. How can You create VPN for this purpose ? - I believe the hosting company would have to allow it and configure it.

How do people access their ASPNETDB file when their projects are hosted ? It is easy to do in the VWD but when the site is local.

Do I need to create my own "administrative pages" for this prupose ?

Thank You again for such a swift reply.

|||

well. . .depends on your hoster.

Yes it is up to him to let you vpn to the machine.

So you have rented diskspace and they hang your mdf on their server tree?

Do you have telnet capabilities as well as ftp? you could possibly telnet in and use the osql command line utility to administer the database on their side. it is a little cumbersome but once you get the hang of it, its not too hard. you can write your scripts locally, move them over and execute via a batch file.

can you remote desktop into the machine?

other than that, yeah, a set of adminstrative pages is about the only way.

|||

yes I have rented diskspace. They support ASP.NET 2.0, and SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server Express.

They do not provide telnet capabilities. I am trying the remote connection - that could work. But'll have to ask them for a password. I am not sure which password should I use. I am sorry if I sound like a total newbie - but that's the way it is when it comes to hosting and so on.

I guess I'll have to work on those administrative web pages once I understand the ASPNETDB database.

thanks for all the hints.

|||I can't comment on your particular provider but GoDaddy has an administrative interface that is pretty easy to use. The ASPNETDF database is created by issuing the sql scripts on the administrative interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment