Sunday, March 11, 2012

Connecting to FoxPro data

I was given this one. Right now I am familiar with how to do this in Access,
but SQL Server is what I need to use.
What does one have to do to connect SQL Server (right now 2000, but soon
2005) to a FoxPro free-table directory?
I would like to have this be a READ-ONLY data source as I do not want to
allow this data/indexes to be updated or modified in any way.
And, can these tables be mixed in with the SQL data tables in the same SQL
database? If not, how can a table in another database (this FoxPro database)
be referenced in T-SQL?
I'm willing to read, you can give links.
Thank you,
JulianHi Julian,
Since you want to "mix" the Fox tables with the SQL tables it sounds like
what you need is a linked server.
Here's some of what I've posted:
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...300fe71db9bb97e
Note that when you select data from a VFP linked server you need the three
dots:
Select SQLTable.* From SQLServerTable As SQLTable
Inner Join FoxLinkedServer...Customers As Customers
On SQLTable.ID = Customers.CustomerID
Also, the data source string in the example is for a FoxPro DBC or "database
container." For free tables you just point to the directory where they are
located:
@.datasrc=N'"C:\Temp\"'
Offhand I don't know how you would make the linked server read-only -
perhaps by making a view of the data and letting the users have read-only
access to the view. A SQL Pass-through query is always read-only but if you
want users to use something like MS Access for querying and reports then an
SPT query wouldn't work.
Cindy Winegarden MCSD, Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
cindy@.cindywinegarden.com
"stjulian" <stjulian@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ONBfsyqqGHA.2232@.TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I was given this one. Right now I am familiar with how to do this in
>Access, but SQL Server is what I need to use.
> What does one have to do to connect SQL Server (right now 2000, but soon
> 2005) to a FoxPro free-table directory?
> I would like to have this be a READ-ONLY data source as I do not want to
> allow this data/indexes to be updated or modified in any way.
> And, can these tables be mixed in with the SQL data tables in the same SQL
> database? If not, how can a table in another database (this FoxPro
> database) be referenced in T-SQL?
> I'm willing to read, you can give links.
> Thank you,
> Julian
>

No comments:

Post a Comment