Sunday, March 11, 2012

Connecting to Database on a Server

Hi,

I'm new to SQLExpress, and I need some help. I am trying to create a SQL database that will sit on a shared server in our organisation. I go into SSMSE and click on New Database which takes me to the New database screen. I now want to change the default path name to our server name, but when I click on the Locate Folder button (...), it only allows me to select folders from my Local drive. Is this a limitation of SQL Express, is there a way around this...?

Thanks in advance...

You will need to install the engine onto the server which you plan to use, then use the following MS Article to allow remote connections to the server. Then you should use the Management tool to connect to the new server and configure the application paths.

|||

Thanks Glenn,

Even if I do all that, I can't connect to any database except for the ones on my hard drive. I have even tried attaching databases in SSMSE and it only allows you to attach Local databases. There is nowhere where I can connect to a drive other than C.

No comments:

Post a Comment