Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Connecting to a Clients SQL server

I am not sure if its possible, hopefully it is. I would like to create a custom page for one of my clients to log into and access information from their SQL server. If I have all the connection information, i.e user id and password etc. Can this be done. I know how to connect to an SQL server locally. If anyone can give me a point in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciative.

If this is possible, I am looking at adding a button on this page to allow the client to transfer records that meet specific criteria in a column in their database into a designated database on my server.

Thanks for any help.If your server can access their SQL Server, sure. Ask them for the TCP/IP connection information, and if you can see their server, you should be able to pull it off.

The difference from what you may be doing locally, is that instead of server=(local), you'll likely have the IP address of their server, and you may be using Windows Authentication locally, but you'll use SQL security to connect to their machine.

Regards,

Xander

No comments:

Post a Comment