Thursday, March 8, 2012

Connecting to a sql server from VB.

I have a VB application that connects to our sql server on one of our local servers. This application needs to be installed on a few computers at a different location.

My question is how do I connect to the sql server on our local server from a remote computer not on our network.??

Thanks in advance.Errrr, you shouldn't. You need to rewrite the application so you have an "application server". :) Now, since I'm sure you aren't going to do that, you will need to open up the SQL Server port to the world and access the database by IP from the remote servers. Alternatively, you can set up an entry to access it as sql.domain.com for example from the outside world.

I hope the data isn't too sensitive. This is just begging someone to hack you.

No comments:

Post a Comment