Thursday, March 8, 2012

Connecting to a SQL Server 2005 over SSH using PuTTY

I'm having a problem connecting to my remote db from Management Studio, but I
am able to create an ODBC connection from the Data Sources applet in the
Control Panel.
PuTTY is setup to convert localhost:21433 to 192.168.100.242:1433 (the
address of my remote db server).
When I specify localhost:21433, provide the username, password, and catalog
to the Data Sources applet it connects fine. I then can use that DSN in
Visual Studio 2005 as a connection to the db.
However, when I try localhost,21433 in Management Studio, it gives me the
default connection error which talks about not having remote access enabled.
Please give me a hand with this as it is very important that I be able to
use the Management Studio tools for my app development.
Thanks in advance.
Trevor Murphy wrote:
> I'm having a problem connecting to my remote db from Management Studio, but I
> am able to create an ODBC connection from the Data Sources applet in the
> Control Panel.
> PuTTY is setup to convert localhost:21433 to 192.168.100.242:1433 (the
> address of my remote db server).
> When I specify localhost:21433, provide the username, password, and catalog
> to the Data Sources applet it connects fine. I then can use that DSN in
> Visual Studio 2005 as a connection to the db.
> However, when I try localhost,21433 in Management Studio, it gives me the
> default connection error which talks about not having remote access enabled.
> Please give me a hand with this as it is very important that I be able to
> use the Management Studio tools for my app development.
> Thanks in advance.
Does the connection error mention Named Pipes? If so, in the connection
dialog, click on Options, and under Connection Properties, make sure the
protocol explicitly states "TCP/IP".
Tracy McKibben
MCDBA
http://www.realsqlguy.com
|||I had gone to options>>connection properties and I set he network protocol to
tcp/ip. I couldn't set the connect to database b/c it wasn't connecting with
the server.
Anything else?
"Tracy McKibben" wrote:

> Trevor Murphy wrote:
> Does the connection error mention Named Pipes? If so, in the connection
> dialog, click on Options, and under Connection Properties, make sure the
> protocol explicitly states "TCP/IP".
>
> --
> Tracy McKibben
> MCDBA
> http://www.realsqlguy.com
>

No comments:

Post a Comment