Thursday, March 22, 2012

connecting to remote SQL Server

I have recently taken over as webmaster at my company and need help connecting to our remotely hosted SQL server. The company who is hosting it will charge me "support time" to explain how to connect to it.

The database is used to store data and application information for our customer service center. So it is ALL database driven...

i have installed SQL Server Enterprise Manager on my machine, but have no ideas on where to even being trying to connect. I have the name of the server, password....etc. But do not know where to configure a connection.

ALSO, when i install my Enterprise Manager the first options askes me whether i want to create a new instance of SQL server on a local or remote machine....i am guessing my local machine right...?

any insight or direction is greatly appreciated.

tony.

Don't you just love hosting companies...First - I am assuming that you know the actual SQL Server name and the sa password. Get the IP address of the server (G-d I hope they don't charge you for THAT!) and try to ping the server by name and IP address. If you can ping by name, open Enterprise Manager and expand Microsoft SQL Servers, then right click on SQL Server Group and select New SQL Server Registration. Check the box that says I dont want to use the freakin' wizard anymore. Now enter the name of the SQL Server - not the name of the actual Windows server (unless they are the same - which they will be if it was a standard installation of a single instance). Check Use SQL Server Authentication, then enter the Login Name as 'sa' and the Password as what ever it is. If you hosting company has not blocked port 1434 this should work fine. To keep from writing an episitle, let me know if this works. There is a different procedure is the SQL instance name is different from the Windows Server name.

Brad
Ex Nihilo, Nihil Fit
|||

hahaha

isn't it suppose to be port 1433?

most hosting company have a web-based database administration tools

which you can work on. All you need to know to move on to the development

is to have the connections string.

sqlsql

No comments:

Post a Comment