Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Connecting to a remote SQL Server the enterprise manager

I would like to connect to my Remote SQL Server using Enterprise manger. However I cannot find a way of doing it. I have tried to registering a new server using the register server wizard but I cannot get it to work does anyone have any suggestions?You should just have to enter the server name/IP address in the "New Sql Server Registration" wizard, select Windows authentications or Sql Server Authentication. Probably you would be use Sql Server Authentication and so you would enter the username and password. Click OK and it should connect.

Presumably you've already done this and it doesn't work.

It could be that a firewall on the server side is preventing the connection. In this case you have to talk with the people who control the firewall.

It could also be that the remote Sql server is using a different port number than usual and Enterprise Manager couldn't dynamically detect it. In that case you'd need to find the port number and use the Sql Client Network utility to create an Alias to refer to the remote server and to specify the port number to communicate with. On your machine go to:

Start->Programs->Microsoft Sql Server->Client Network Utility
Click the "Alias" tab
Click "Add"
Enter a Server alias (probably the machine name of the remote server)
Click "TCP/IP" radio button on the left side (most likely way to connect)
Enter server name (probably an IP address)
Uncheck "Dynamically determine port" and enter the port number.
Click OK

Go back into Enterprise Manager and re-start "New Sql Server Registration".
Next to the server box click the"..." button. You should see the server alias you created there.
Select the server alias and proceed with the rest of the setup.|||McMurdoStation

Thanks for the reply.
One thing that is reassuring is that this is how I have been trying to connect. However I have had no success. The remote server i am using runs on Win2003 with iis6. I have set up a username on the server with osql and given the user the correct privalages. however when I try to connect I keep getting the message. the server does not exist or access is denied. Is there anything else I can try?|||It's probably a firewall issue. Can you ping the server?

I've had similar problems in the past connecting to remote Sql Servers. Someone on the other end does some sort of magic and then I can connect. But I'm not a firewall person so I don't know what it is that they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment