Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Connecting To Remote MSDE With Server Management Studio

Hello,
I am having issues connecting to an MSDE instance on a remote machine
using MSSQL 9's Server Management Studio.
I am also have issues connecting to a remote instance of MSSQL v7 using
Server Management Studio. Later, I will have to connect to MSSQL v8.
If there is a step-by-step guide somewhere, I would like a URL for it.
Otherwise, I would just like to have input regarding what I should be
checking.
The MSDE was installed without an instance name, so I believe the
instance name is the name of the machine. I believe that I need to
specify the machine and the instance name in the Server Management
Studio connection dialog. I believe the format is
MachineName\InstanceName
In all cases I am using TCP/IP to connect.
All authentication is SQL Auth. The MSDE machine is configured to use
SQL Auth. The MSSQL v7 machine is too.
I was a bit surprised to see the requests on port 1434 instead of 1433.
I'll learn about the reason(s) for this later. Right now, I want to
know if there are any considerations regarding this.
There are firewalls involved, they have been configured to allow
access. This is confirmed by being able to use the MSSQL v7 tools to
connect to both the MSDE and the v7 servers.
The error I receive when connecting to the MSDE machine is:
(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)
The error I use when connecting to the v7 machine is:
(provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - A socket operation encountered a
dead network.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10050)
Any thoughts or ideas?
hi,
> The MSDE was installed without an instance name, so I believe the
> instance name is the name of the machine. I believe that I need to
> specify the machine and the instance name in the Server Management
> Studio connection dialog. I believe the format is
> MachineName\InstanceName
as long as you did not install a named instance, you only have to provide
the MachineName..

> In all cases I am using TCP/IP to connect.
obviously the relative network protocol has been enabled on the remote
server..

> All authentication is SQL Auth. The MSDE machine is configured to use
> SQL Auth. The MSSQL v7 machine is too.
> I was a bit surprised to see the requests on port 1434 instead of
> 1433. I'll learn about the reason(s) for this later. Right now, I
> want to know if there are any considerations regarding this.
TCP/IP 1433 is the IANA assigned port to Microsoft SQL Server, and is the
default port for default instances of SQL Server... named instances usually
adopt the dynamic allocation of a port, so another service is involved,
running on UDP 1434 port, which resolves the connection enquiry redirecting
to the appropriate named instace's used TCP port..

> There are firewalls involved, they have been configured to allow
> access. This is confirmed by being able to use the MSSQL v7 tools to
> connect to both the MSDE and the v7 servers.
> The error I receive when connecting to the MSDE machine is:
> (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
> Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)
> The error I use when connecting to the v7 machine is:
> (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - A socket operation encountered a
> dead network.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10050)
>
> Any thoughts or ideas?
try having a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;905618 ...
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.18.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.62.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply

No comments:

Post a Comment