Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Connecting to remote Express instance using SSMS

I have a server running SQL Server 2005 Ent. Ed. SP2 and locally, I can see
the default instance and two SQLExpress instances named 'sqlexpress' and
'officeservers', all withing SSMS, and can connect and manage them.
From my workstation, running SQL 2005 Dev, SP2, I can connect to the default
instance on that server, but cannot connect to the express instances. They
both have TCP/IP protocol enabled, along with "Allow Remote COnnections".
I have done the following:
Made myself a member of the local Admin group
Tried using the sa account to connect
nothing seems to work. What am I missing?
TIA
--
Todd ChittendenIs the SQLBrowser Service enabled and started?
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
"Todd C" <ToddC@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:15C51BF6-FF25-435E-B26B-3863344FB81D@.microsoft.com...
>I have a server running SQL Server 2005 Ent. Ed. SP2 and locally, I can see
> the default instance and two SQLExpress instances named 'sqlexpress' and
> 'officeservers', all withing SSMS, and can connect and manage them.
> From my workstation, running SQL 2005 Dev, SP2, I can connect to the
> default
> instance on that server, but cannot connect to the express instances. They
> both have TCP/IP protocol enabled, along with "Allow Remote COnnections".
> I have done the following:
> Made myself a member of the local Admin group
> Tried using the sa account to connect
> nothing seems to work. What am I missing?
> TIA
> --
> Todd Chittenden
>|||I found it not long after posting the original question:
No, the Browser service was not running. Starting that up enabled me to
connect to it. So that was the answer.
But even before the Enterprise instance was installed, (which includes the
browser service) I was not able to connect. I know I have other machines in
my domain that are running SQL Express. Should I not be able to connect to
them using my SSMS? What do I need to do to make that happen?
I assume that I need membership in the group on the local machine that bears
the SQL Express instance name?
What else? I can't rely on the Browser service in those instances.
Thanks
--
Todd Chittenden
"Roger Wolter[MSFT]" wrote:

> Is the SQLBrowser Service enabled and started?
> --
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
.
> Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
> "Todd C" <ToddC@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:15C51BF6-FF25-435E-B26B-3863344FB81D@.microsoft.com...
>|||SQL Express by default installs as a named instance. Unless you specify the
TCP/IP port in the connection string, you need the sqlbrowser service to
connect to a named instance.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
"Todd C" <ToddC@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F4B981A2-4B9A-443E-855B-D53B89FCE511@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
>I found it not long after posting the original question:
> No, the Browser service was not running. Starting that up enabled me to
> connect to it. So that was the answer.
> But even before the Enterprise instance was installed, (which includes the
> browser service) I was not able to connect. I know I have other machines
> in
> my domain that are running SQL Express. Should I not be able to connect to
> them using my SSMS? What do I need to do to make that happen?
> I assume that I need membership in the group on the local machine that
> bears
> the SQL Express instance name?
> What else? I can't rely on the Browser service in those instances.
> Thanks
> --
> Todd Chittenden
>
> "Roger Wolter[MSFT]" wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment