Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Connecting to Oracle Datasource for import

Now this is the first time i have tried this with SQL 05 I am trying to Import data from an Oracle DB. I have the connection info:

Xtx20xxx = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST =(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =urlpart1.part2.part3.com)(PORT = 1521)))(CONNECT_DATA =(SID = Xtx20xxx ))
)

I used the Microsoft OLEDB provider for oracle from the dropdown,

The username and password I have also. I tried to enter in the Xtx20xxx as the server name, clicked "Properties"

put in the username and password I can given and clicked "Test Connection". No matter what I get the infamous ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name error message. I am sure I am missing something obvious here but I have absolutely no clue and all the googling in the world has not given me any help. I do have the Oracle 10g client tools installed on this workstation (running Windows XP Prof SP2 and SQL 2005 STD).

Make sure the server name is in your tnsnames.ora file.

http://www.dba-oracle.com/tips_oracle_tnsnames_ora_file.htm

|||

Alright...so being a Oracle newbie, I found I did not properly install all the client software so as you suggested I did not even have a .ora file anywhere on my machine. I went through a better install which brought up a java app that asked me all the questions and built an ora file.

So now I am on to a Login issue (invalid username/password).

|||Can you mark this post as answered please? sqlsql

No comments:

Post a Comment