Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Connecting to a linked server with ODBC

I'm currently trying to access data from a Cache DB using MSSQL. I have
linked the Cache server through an ODBC connection. I can see in the Linked
Server
expansion all the tables in Cache for the File(?) I want to access.

Here is my problem: Normally to access a linked sever I would do the
following:

select *
from ServerName.DatabaseName.dbo.TableName

I have tried

select *
from ServerName.DSN.dbo.TableName

select *
from ServerName.DSN.SQLUser.TableName ("SQLUser" is the owner in Cache)

None have worked (error no such object...)

What is the syntax to select data on a linked sever via an ODBC connection?

In the Linked server set up I have also check the RPC and RPC Out options...
My ultimate goal is join tables in Cache and MSSQL into MSSQL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-p"Pippen" <123@.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<b8iWb.2520$_44.6454@.attbi_s52>...
> I'm currently trying to access data from a Cache DB using MSSQL. I have
> linked the Cache server through an ODBC connection. I can see in the Linked
> Server
> expansion all the tables in Cache for the File(?) I want to access.
> Here is my problem: Normally to access a linked sever I would do the
> following:
> select *
> from ServerName.DatabaseName.dbo.TableName
> I have tried
> select *
> from ServerName.DSN.dbo.TableName
> select *
> from ServerName.DSN.SQLUser.TableName ("SQLUser" is the owner in Cache)
> None have worked (error no such object...)
> What is the syntax to select data on a linked sever via an ODBC connection?
> In the Linked server set up I have also check the RPC and RPC Out options...
> My ultimate goal is join tables in Cache and MSSQL into MSSQL.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> Thanks,
> -p

I don't know anything about Cache DB, but not all linked servers
support or require all 4 parts of the name. Have you tried these two
alternatives?

select * from LinkedServerName..SQLUser.TableName
select * from LinkedServerName...TableName

Simon|||Your first example works. Thanks for the help.

-p

"Simon Hayes" <sql@.hayes.ch> wrote in message
news:60cd0137.0402110305.707515bb@.posting.google.c om...
> "Pippen" <123@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:<b8iWb.2520$_44.6454@.attbi_s52>...
> > I'm currently trying to access data from a Cache DB using MSSQL. I have
> > linked the Cache server through an ODBC connection. I can see in the
Linked
> > Server
> > expansion all the tables in Cache for the File(?) I want to access.
> > Here is my problem: Normally to access a linked sever I would do the
> > following:
> > select *
> > from ServerName.DatabaseName.dbo.TableName
> > I have tried
> > select *
> > from ServerName.DSN.dbo.TableName
> > select *
> > from ServerName.DSN.SQLUser.TableName ("SQLUser" is the owner in Cache)
> > None have worked (error no such object...)
> > What is the syntax to select data on a linked sever via an ODBC
connection?
> > In the Linked server set up I have also check the RPC and RPC Out
options...
> > My ultimate goal is join tables in Cache and MSSQL into MSSQL.
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> > Thanks,
> > -p
> I don't know anything about Cache DB, but not all linked servers
> support or require all 4 parts of the name. Have you tried these two
> alternatives?
> select * from LinkedServerName..SQLUser.TableName
> select * from LinkedServerName...TableName
> Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment