Thursday, March 8, 2012

Connecting to an instance of SQL

I have a SQL2000 instance that when I attempt to connect to it by
default\NamedInstance it connects me to the default instance on that server
instead. If I connect with (local)\NamedInstance it connects me to the named
instance.
In addition when I attempt to start the agent for the named instance I get
the below:
SQLServerAgent cannot start because the instance of the server (MSSQLSERVER)
is not the expected instance
thanks for your your helpI'd start by checking for aliases in Client Network Utility.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
"RomM" <RomM@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6743587B-BC99-498B-8E1D-519B98C7380C@.microsoft.com...
>I have a SQL2000 instance that when I attempt to connect to it by
> default\NamedInstance it connects me to the default instance on that server
> instead. If I connect with (local)\NamedInstance it connects me to the named
> instance.
> In addition when I attempt to start the agent for the named instance I get
> the below:
> SQLServerAgent cannot start because the instance of the server (MSSQLSERVER)
> is not the expected instance
> thanks for your your help|||It was the correct alias but the port was wrong. I changed and it seems to
be working fine.
What do you think the cause was?
thanks for your help.
"Tibor Karaszi" wrote:
> I'd start by checking for aliases in Client Network Utility.
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
> http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
>
> "RomM" <RomM@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6743587B-BC99-498B-8E1D-519B98C7380C@.microsoft.com...
> >I have a SQL2000 instance that when I attempt to connect to it by
> > default\NamedInstance it connects me to the default instance on that server
> > instead. If I connect with (local)\NamedInstance it connects me to the named
> > instance.
> >
> > In addition when I attempt to start the agent for the named instance I get
> > the below:
> > SQLServerAgent cannot start because the instance of the server (MSSQLSERVER)
> > is not the expected instance
> >
> > thanks for your your help
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment