Wednesday, March 7, 2012

connecting to a distant SQL server installed on VISTA

Hi,
I'm running an SQL server 2005 on a VISTA based machine.
When I use the management studio from the local machine everything
looks fine.
When I try to connect to that server using a managment tool from a
distant machine I'm able to do so but whan I connect to the server I
do not see the 'green play icon' but a white empty circle nor can I
stop\start that instance.
I'm able to connect to that server and use it from distant but the
connection is quite slow and has many unexplained delays.
tcp 1433 and udp 1434 are opened and both named pipes and TCP\IP are
enabled.
Am I missing something ?
thnak you for your response.
Gilad.
Gilad,
Can you give us more detail about what you mean when you say a distant
server? Are you connecting to a network through a VPN and connecting to a
server?
Can you connect to a distant server that has access to the SQL Server but
through its own local network? (for example with a remote desktop connection)
The connection is solid and if something happens to the connection, you can
log back into the machine on the local network and continue where you left
off.
A slow VPN that can be disconnected in the middle of a query is a shaky
method for doing remote work.
Regards,
Jamie
"Gilad" wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm running an SQL server 2005 on a VISTA based machine.
> When I use the management studio from the local machine everything
> looks fine.
> When I try to connect to that server using a managment tool from a
> distant machine I'm able to do so but whan I connect to the server I
> do not see the 'green play icon' but a white empty circle nor can I
> stop\start that instance.
> I'm able to connect to that server and use it from distant but the
> connection is quite slow and has many unexplained delays.
> tcp 1433 and udp 1434 are opened and both named pipes and TCP\IP are
> enabled.
> Am I missing something ?
> thnak you for your response.
> Gilad.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment