Sunday, March 11, 2012

Connecting to DB2 Database - Drivers Needed

I am trying to connect my reporting services server to a DB2 server - What
drivers / info do i need to accomplish this. I cant seem to figure out how
to get this to work. Any help would be appreciated.You need an ODBC driver or an OLEDB driver. Either will work theorectically.
I go against Sybase and for them I found that the ODBC driver worked better.
Just a few days ago there was someone going against an AS400 running DB2
that has had good luck with ODBC.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"PCL" <PCL@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:16E09229-DEDF-4D37-9F9A-5D4897359C54@.microsoft.com...
> I am trying to connect my reporting services server to a DB2 server - What
> drivers / info do i need to accomplish this. I cant seem to figure out
how
> to get this to work. Any help would be appreciated.|||Thank You for your response - I guess i am not sure where i make this ODBC
connection. In .Net when i am creating a report it asks for a datasource
which I can use a DSN for. When i goto make a DSN, i do not see a generic
ODBC connection - I see ODBC for oracle but that is about it. How do i go
about creating this DSN?
Thanx!
"Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> You need an ODBC driver or an OLEDB driver. Either will work theorectically.
> I go against Sybase and for them I found that the ODBC driver worked better.
> Just a few days ago there was someone going against an AS400 running DB2
> that has had good luck with ODBC.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> "PCL" <PCL@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:16E09229-DEDF-4D37-9F9A-5D4897359C54@.microsoft.com...
> > I am trying to connect my reporting services server to a DB2 server - What
> > drivers / info do i need to accomplish this. I cant seem to figure out
> how
> > to get this to work. Any help would be appreciated.
>
>|||Assuming you have an ODBC driver installed, create a machine datasource
name. Then in RS create a new datasource, select the microsoft oledb for
odbc driver, you will then come to the screen that will allow you to pick
the DSN.
--
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"PCL" <PCL@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C27653D2-CBA2-43BD-A9AF-2A31DF5488FA@.microsoft.com...
> Thank You for your response - I guess i am not sure where i make this ODBC
> connection. In .Net when i am creating a report it asks for a datasource
> which I can use a DSN for. When i goto make a DSN, i do not see a generic
> ODBC connection - I see ODBC for oracle but that is about it. How do i go
> about creating this DSN?
> Thanx!
> "Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> > You need an ODBC driver or an OLEDB driver. Either will work
theorectically.
> > I go against Sybase and for them I found that the ODBC driver worked
better.
> > Just a few days ago there was someone going against an AS400 running DB2
> > that has had good luck with ODBC.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Bruce Loehle-Conger
> > MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> >
> > "PCL" <PCL@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:16E09229-DEDF-4D37-9F9A-5D4897359C54@.microsoft.com...
> > > I am trying to connect my reporting services server to a DB2 server -
What
> > > drivers / info do i need to accomplish this. I cant seem to figure
out
> > how
> > > to get this to work. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> >
> >|||On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:59:03 -0800, PCL <PCL@.discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
>I am trying to connect my reporting services server to a DB2 server - What
>drivers / info do i need to accomplish this. I cant seem to figure out how
>to get this to work. Any help would be appreciated.
You maybe out of luck. OLE DB Provider for DB2 is not something you
can obtain free or even separately for a fee. As far as I know, it
only comes with MS Host Integration Server 2000 and 2004 (~$2500). We
recently had a discussion with Microsoft about this, and they
confirmed that this is a known business problem.
If you end up buying Host Integration Server, I'd strongly suggest you
get the latest release (2004): the provider seems to be less bugged
(it had some annoying instability issues in 2000), plus they now
include a managed provider as well, which is nice to have, if you're
programming on .NET platform.
There are other options, like getting a provider from IBM (or even
some 3rd party), but those are not free either, and I cannot tell you
much about them...

No comments:

Post a Comment