Sunday, March 11, 2012

Connecting to DB with Static IP over the internet

Hello Did anyone ever get the SQL2000 server or MSDE to work on an XP Pro
computer, with a static IP address? If so how is this done? I’ve done the
following:
1) setup router to forward to a port 5000
2) I setup MS SQL server to listen to this port, I check error logs, and it
is listening, I do netstat –a and it does list that it is being listened t
o.
3) I make sure the DMZ is clear for the computer that is being forward the
stuff from the internet.
4) I can use the Remote Desktop Connection to connect to that static IP
computer and it works just fine, …
5) When I try to connect to the computer through a connection string I get
the oh so informative “Invalid connection string attribute” even though
I use
the same thing with another static ip, on a win2000 server, and it works the
connection string looks like this:
User ID=DAN;Password=DAN;Protocol=TCP/IP;Server=60.44.118.127;Port No=5000;
6) I did setup the server network utility with the port,
I am not sure what I missed, I know on the Server2000 operating system I
did go into the remote access routing utility, but I can’t find that on
Windows XP Pro,
Can anyone help me out?"ARTMIC" <ARTMIC@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EFA03B8C-E304-4CB4-AC76-8AE6E73FABF6@.microsoft.com...
> Hello Did anyone ever get the SQL2000 server or MSDE to work on an XP Pro
> computer, with a static IP address? If so how is this done? I've done the
> following:
> 1) setup router to forward to a port 5000
> 2) I setup MS SQL server to listen to this port, I check error logs, and
> it
> is listening, I do netstat -a and it does list that it is being listened
> to.
> 3) I make sure the DMZ is clear for the computer that is being forward the
> stuff from the internet.
> 4) I can use the Remote Desktop Connection to connect to that static IP
> computer and it works just fine, .
> 5) When I try to connect to the computer through a connection string I get
> the oh so informative "Invalid connection string attribute" even though I
> use
> the same thing with another static ip, on a win2000 server, and it works
> the
> connection string looks like this:
> User ID=DAN;Password=DAN;Protocol=TCP/IP;Server=60.44.118.127;Port
> No=5000;
> 6) I did setup the server network utility with the port,
> I am not sure what I missed, I know on the Server2000 operating system I
> did go into the remote access routing utility, but I can't find that on
> Windows XP Pro,
> Can anyone help me out?
Try equating the IP number to a name in hosts and then use that name in the
connection string.

No comments:

Post a Comment