Thursday, March 8, 2012

Connecting to AdventureWorks2000_Data.mdf

When I try to connect to this AdventureWorks2000_Data.mdf, I get the following message:

The file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\AdventureWorks2000_Data.mdf" is compressed but does not reside in a read-only database or filegroup. The file must be decompressed.

Could not open new database 'AdventureWorks2000'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5118)

Any ideas on how to get the local version installed of SQL Server to open this db? I'm trying to follow along with the examples in the book "Beginning Transact-SQL with SQL Server 2000 and 2005".

Thanks,

Vanzant

Run a sp_helpdb to check all the databases in your server just to make sure you do have the AdventureWorks2000 database. If not, you can download it from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=487C9C23-2356-436E-94A8-2BFB66F0ABDC&displaylang=en

|||

Is C: a compressed volume? If so, SQL Server does not support compressed volumes.

Read SQL Server databases are not supported on compressed volumes

|||http://blogs.msdn.com/sanchan/archive/2006/06/04/617585.aspx FYI.|||

I don't think C: is a compressed volume. The only thing I know to check is the disk properties when right click on C:. It isn't selected on the "compress drive to save disk space". If there is another place to check/correct, please let me know.

I can open the AdventureWorks_Data.mdf. I don't know if this matters but I have SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server Express installed on my local PC. This is where I'm trying to look at the files. I'm not sure the differences between the AdventureWorks_Data and AdventureWorks2000_Data, but I don't understand why I can't open the '2000' version.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vanzant

|||

I think I've figured it out. There are two folders (MSSQL and MSSQL.1) under the Microsoft SQL Server folder. I attached the 2000 db in the MSSQL folder and it worked. I guess it is a newbie issue.

Thanks for inputs!

No comments:

Post a Comment