Thursday, March 8, 2012

CONNECTING TO ACCESS DATA via SQL Server Managemnt Studio

HI All, forgive me but I am new to SQL Server.

My question is in 2 parts. THe first - Could anyone point me to a tutorial or give me a quick pointer? I want to View my Access 2003 datatables through Server MAngement Studio. I cannot however work this out or find articles on it. Is it possible? Are there any wlakthroughs?

The second Part - Eventually I want to create an SQL database, which is comprised of tables which use (point to) MS ACCESS as there datasource. An unchangeable existing piece of software uses Access as the UI, so I want to leave my data in access, and just set up some pointers from the SQL database tables to read in data from these access tables as when required.

Is that a clear question? Am I making any sense? PLease let me know as I am scratching my head a lot at the moment!!

Cheers guys,

Anthony

You can;t access "Access Database" Tables from SQL Management Studio. but SQL Tables can be from "Access DB"

I can suggest you import data from Access into SQL Server then create link tables in your Access DB.

Access Forms will run with Link Tables which will fetch data from SQL Server.

- Jignesh

|||

you can configure a link server from sql server

to view data from access

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175866.aspx

|||

HI Jignesh,

You can by configuring it as a link server. I did this about an hour after posting my query! Lots of people ahve said you cant but you can, it should be made a bit more obvious I think.

CHeers anywya,

Anthony

|||

Hi Joey,

yes I did this shortly after posting the question.

Thanks anywya, loads of people dont know about this, strangely.

Cheers for your help.

Anthoyn

No comments:

Post a Comment